Beautiful Aishwarya Rai Bachchan turns 39 today
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, often termed as one of the world's most beautiful woman, turns 39 today. From winning the Miss World crown to becoming the most popular Indian celebrity in Hollywood, Aishwarya's journey so far has been like a fairy tale. Here's a quick look at her life.
- Ash was born on November 1, 1973 in Mangalore to Krishnaraj and Vrinda Rai. While her father is a retired marine biologist, her mother is a writer. Ash also has an elder brother, Aditya, who's in merchant navy.
- She did her schooling from Mumbai's Arya Vidya Mandir High School and then moved to Jai Hind College.
- Aspiring to becoming an architect, Ash went on to make her career in modelling and won the second place in 1994 Miss India pageant. Actress Sushmita Sen secured the first place. Ash then won the Miss World title in the same year beating 86 other contestants.
- Just like other beauty pageant winners, Ash also decided to try her luck in movies three years after winning the Miss World title. She made her film debut with Tamil film, 'Iruvar', which was directed by Mani Ratnam. The film got a lot of critical appreciation.
- In 1997, Ash made her Bollywood debut with Rahul Rawail's 'Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya', but the film failed at the box office. She then worked in another Tamil film, 'Jeans', directed by Shankar, which became India's official Best Foreign Language Film entry for the Oscars.
- After that, Ash worked in film like 'Aa Ab Laut Chalein' but she is best remembered as chulbuli Nandani of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam', opposite Salman Khan. And, it was on the sets of this film that the two co-stars, Ash and Salman fall in love with each other. The relationship that was under constant media scrutiny, ended on a bitter note after two years when Aishwarya alleged Salman for abusing her physically and verbally threatening her.
- Ash has starred in hit Bollywood films like Subhash Ghai's 'Taal', Mansoor Khan's 'Josh', Aditya Chopra's 'Mohabbatein', Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Devdas' (she won the Best Actress award at - the Filmfare, Star Screen and IIFA awards, for this film), Rajkumar Santoshi's 'Khakee',Gurinder Chadha's 'Bride and Prejudice', Sanjay Gadhvi's 'Dhoom 2' and Shankar's 'The Robot'.
- In 2003, Ash appeared in a Bengali movie, 'Chokher Bali' by Rituparno Ghosh.
- Soon, there were reports that Ash, who was moving ahead in her career, was dating actor Vivek Oberoi. Though Ash never discussed her relationship with Vivek in public, it was the actor who came out and talked openly about his relationship in media as well. Even this relationship ended soon when Ash moved on in her life.
- If hit films are a part of Ash's career, then so are flops. Ash has worked in projects that failed at the box office - 'Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke', 'Kyun! Ho Gaya Na' and 'Umrao Jaan', to name a few.
- Where on one side 'Umrao Jaan' failed to set the cash registers ringing, it marked the start of Ash -Abhishek's love story. The two went on to star together in 2007's hit film, 'Guru' and tied the knot.the same year on April 20.
- Ash continued to work after her marriage and gave a phenominal performance as Jodha Bai in Ashutosh Gowarikar's 'Jodhaa Akbar', which was a box office success.
- Then in 2011, when Ash was to work in Madhur Bhandarkar's 'Heroine', the lady announced her pregnancy, which marked her exit from Bhandarkar's project. Ash then delivered a baby girl on November 16, named Aaradhya.
Today, Ash is a successful Bollywood actress and tops the list of B-town's yummy mummies. Here's wishing the gorgeous actress a very Happy Birthday and many more successful years ahead.