Happy Birthday SRK : Long Live the King Khan
King Khan of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan has turned a year old today, but even at 47, he's still best remembered as 'Raj Malhotra' from his 1995 film, 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge'. Here's a quick look at King Khan's life who rose to fame with no godfathers in the industry.
1) SRK was born to Taj Mohammed Khan and Lateef Fatima in New Delhi, in 1965 and has an elder sister named Shehnaz.
2) He did his schooling from St. Columba's School in New Delhi and then completed his graduation in Economics from Delhi's Hansraj College. He even studied Mass Communication for a brief period from Jamia Millia Islamia but dropped out to chase his dream to be an actor.
3) SRK then joined Barry John's Theatre Action Group and landed himself a small role in a TV serial, 'Fauji' in 1988. As Commando Abhimanyu Rai in 'Fauji', SRK became a popular household name, which helped him bag his second role in TV show, 'Circus'.
4) Life then took a U-turn for SRK when he starred in 1992 hit film, 'Deewana' opposite Divya Bharti. The role won him his first ever award - the Filmfare Best Debut (Male) Award.
5) Then with films like 'Baazigar' and 'Darr' SRK successfully proved himself in a negative role. He was even awarded Filmfare Best Actor Award for 'Baazigar' and a nomination in the Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role for 'Darr'.
6) In 1993, SRK then decided to break his negative image and played a chocolate boy in 'Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa', for which he won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance.
7) Meanwhile, SRK also married his long time girlfriend Gauri Chibber on October 25, 1991. The couple has two children together, son Aryan and daughter Suhana.
8) Where on one side SRK was grabbing awards for his powerful performances, he got a setback when a lot of his films flopped at the box office. The list included - 'Zamana Deewana', 'Guddu', 'Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India', 'Ram Jaane' and 'Trimurti'.
9) But, then came the golden year of Bollywood and SRK's life and image changed forever. In 1995 released the biggest blockbuster of Bollywood, 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' and Raj Malhotra (SRK's character name) started ruling the hearts of millions of Indian girls. This film not only won 10 Filmfare Awards, including the Best Actor Award for Shah Rukh Khan, but also established the SRK-Kajol jodi.
10) SRK has wokred with a number of Bollywood heroines and given a series of hit films, bagging several awards as well.
11) SRK starred in films like 'Koyla', 'Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman', 'Yes Boss', 'Dil To Pagal Hai', 'Duplicate', 'Dil Se', 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai', 'Badshah', 'Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani ', 'Asoka', 'Chalte Chalte', 'Mohabbatein', 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham', 'Devdas', 'Kal Ho Naa Ho', 'Swades', 'Chak De! India', 'Main Hoon Na', 'Veer Zaara', 'Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna', 'Don', 'Om Shanti Om', 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi', 'My Name Is Khan' and 'Ra.One'.
12) Apart from films, SRK even tried his luck once again on small screen with TV shows like'Kaun Banega Crorepati 3' and 'Kya Aap Panchvi Pass Se Tez Hain'.
13) SRK even owns one of the IPL teams, Kolkata Knight Riders, which won this year's Indian Premiere League as well.
14) Currently, SRK is busy promoting his upcoming film, 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan', directed by late Yash Chopra, also starring Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma. SRK is playing an army officer named Samar in the film which will release on Diwali, November 13.
Here's wishing the Badshah a very Happy Birthday. (Written by Lovely Mehrotra)